Living in Paris
You will find below an average estimated cost for living expenses in Paris on a monthly basis:
- Housing: 450-800 €
- Food: 200-300 €
- Transportation: 75 €/month (Adult Full Fare) ; 38€/month (Under 26 years old);
Total budget: 690 to 1100 €
- Traveller’s checks: a very easy way to carry money inEurope. They are safe and convenient. They are almost accepted everywhere and are easily and quickly replaced if lost or stolen so long as you keep an accurate record of serial numbers.
- Credit cards: the simplest way to get money in France, starting from your arrival at the airport, is to use a credit card, with a PIN number .Visa, American Express and MasterCard are widely recognized. They are useful for emergencies, and with a pin, you can withdraw money from ATMs.
- You can also buy euros in your country: having some cash when you arrive can be useful.
- Opening a bank account is easy if you remain more than three months in France. This can take up to four weeks or more.
Social Security pays off only a part of your health expenses. An additional coverage called “mutuelle” can be subscribed to complete the Social Security. Students above 28 years old on October 1st of the academic year have to subscribe to a private insurance.
Think to do a complete medical check up before leaving your country!
FOR NON-EUROPEAN STUDENTS, PLEASE BRING A CERTIFIED COPY OF YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE TRANSLATED IN FRENCH.
Students from countries in the European Economic Space are exempted from participation as long as they hold either a European health insurance card (or temporary certificate) valid for the entire academic year.
- Hour: GTM+1
- Currency: Euro (€)
- Country phone code: + 33 (+1 for Paris)
- Electricity : 220V AC